Who are we?
As a key part of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Research Design Services (RDSs) support researchers to develop high-quality grant applications for submission to NIHR and other national funding programmes. There are ten RDS services in England.
The Research Design Service SE (RDS SE) covers Kent, Surrey and Sussex (KSS), with advisers based at the Universities of Brighton, Kent and Surrey. We work as one service across the KSS region and have close links with other key parts of NIHR infrastructure such as the Clinical Research, Network Kent Surrey Sussex (CRN KSS).
Who are our advisers?
- RDS Advisers are experienced researchers, academics and methodologists
- They have expertise across a range of disciplines and methodologies relevant to health and social care research
- They are experienced in supporting grant applications and applications for NIHR training and career development programmes
- They have a collective experience of reviewing hundreds of NIHR projects
- Advisers often attend NIHR Funding panels as observers, so they understand the requirements of the different funding programme streams and know what the different panels are looking for in a good application
Who can access the RDS SE?
- Health & Social Care staff applying for funding for applied health and social care research
- Academics working with (or planning to work with) NHS staff on a research funding application
- NIHR Fellowship applicants
Unfortunately we cannot provide support or advice for:
- Students – please contact your supervisor(s).
- Audit projects – please contact your local Audit Department or R&D lead.
If you are in any doubt about eligibility, please contact us to discuss your situation.